Each year, students in grades 3-8 take state PSSA Tests. The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania requires all school districts to administer the Pennsylvania System of School Assessment (PSSA) in writing, reading, mathematics, and science according to the following schedule:
We have added links below for the dates of the testing windows established by the Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE), so that you are aware of the upcoming testing during the school year. Note that, due to excessive snow days, the math, reading, and writing windows could be extended. Therefore, please refer to the schedule your child’s principal has published for specific testing dates in letters they send home during the year. The dates and times may vary slightly across buildings based on schedules, and other events that might impact a quiet and uninterrupted testing environment for students in each respective building.
In order to help your child complete his or her PSSA more accurately, we ask you to:
- Avoid making any appointments or vacation plans during the testing windows that would require your child’s absence from school.
- Make sure your child has adequate rest on the nights before testing and a good breakfast on testing days.
- Encourage your child to dress comfortably on testing days.
- Make sure that your child arrives at school on time so that any preparations or instructions will not be missed.
- Encourage your child to have a confident and positive attitude toward this testing. Please do not over-stress the importance of test results; students who are tense often do not perform at their true ability level.
Additionally, please review the information linked below regarding the use of cell phones/electronic devices and calculators.
The PSSA results provide our school district with an objective measure of its educational program. In addition to district-based assessments, the PSSA also assists you in gaining a better understanding of your child’s ability and performance based on state standards.
Thank you in advance, for your support. In order to assist us in providing the best possible environment for test-taking, please review these PDE Policies and share them with your children.